Saturday, August 30, 2008

What's Different About This Cycle?

Not much.  So far all of my appointments have fallen on the same day of the week.  My baseline u/s found similar follie numbers as my first cycle.  And at my appointment yesterday when I asked the nurse if things have changed, she told me only a little.    She said they wanted things to go a little slower than last cycle, but so far it's been the same?  They lowered my Follistim dose from 150IU to 100IU, but is it working?  I like to believe that the number of follicles doesn't tell ALL, that it's quality not quantity.  And, we won't know quality until we know the number of embryos & their subsequent development.  So, the questions I have: Did my having 23 eggs retrieved compromise the quality of all of them? (18 mature/only 4 made it)   Will this slower protocol & dhea improve quality?  Ugggh I hate this not knowing.   But there in lies that beauty - Hope.

Well, if things stay status quo I'll have my ER next Sunday, but maybe this time could I have a day 5 transfer?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, it sounds like you are really moving along, and ER is getting close. It is true that follicle numbers really don't mean at the end of the day, and you shouldn't dwell on it. I wish you all the best going forward and hope you stay comfortable!

poppy.f.seed said...

During my ivf cycle I ate one organic egg every day, before egg retrieval, as well as high fat yogurt(also organic) and ridiculous amounts of fresh local veggies. Not sure if it helped, but all 14 eggs retrieved were mature, so I'd recommend it.

Good luck and I hope you have a great ER!

Evergreen said...

I have always heard that quality is the most important, which makes sense. Whether quantity diminishes quality is just a theory, I think. You will never have a firm answer about your last cycle, only theories. But this cycle IS a different cycle, and those beautiful eggies of yours are in there doing their thing to grow and mature. They ARE different eggs than last time. They've tweaked your protocol some, which sounds like a good thing. Everyone whom I care to listen to (my acupuncturist, my RE, my friends that have had success with ART) remind me that releasing stress, eating well, and getting plenty of rest are the most important things to improve egg quality.

I wish you the best and great success this cycle!