Wednesday, July 23, 2008

dehydro what?

So, DeHydroEpiAndrosterone - DHEA What is it? Good question pj.

Actually I'm just guessing those are the letters from which the acronym is derived.

Well anyway, this is how the story starts. We sat in the Dr.'s office after learning that the egg quality was most likely the culprit for the poor embryo quality and I hear the words: "There is a controversial method we could try". I was ready to do anything. Controversial because there aren't enough studies to prove that it works - but according to my doctor it is something that can't hurt. (Side effects, well, aside).

Please remember this is from what I understand based on what my doctor told me and some dr. googling: DHEA is one of the pre-cursor hormones that produce testosterone and estrogen. According to several studies done through ivf clinics (Here is one: http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/21/11/2845) DHEA somehow increases the # of eggs and possibly egg quality. No one knows exactly how, but some speculate it somehow has an effect on the follicular development, one of the reasons why it needs to be taken for at least two months. It appears that it is for women over 40 and with diminished ovarian reserve. I'm thinking that it's also controversial to give to younger women w/o ovarian reserve problems.

Since everything dr. google brings up deals with women 40+ and or with ovarian reserve issues I feel like this is some sort of wonder drug to give to women, who aren't in either category but have had poor egg/embryo quality, as some sort of wonder drug or snake oil cure. I think that just shows the lack of research on this drug. For now I will just have to put my trust in my doctor and a little bit of hope in a little white pill, but my guess (not to be negative, but realistic) is that it won't have that much of an effect on my situation.

And FYI if you are in NY or Illinois there is a study on DHEA being done by the Center for Human Reproduction ( Dr. David H. Barad ), and it looks like they are currently recruiting. Here is the link:
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00650754?intr=%22DHEA%22&rank=5

2 comments:

Paula Keller said...

Well hopefully that'll be the ticket for you! Thanks for answering my question.

I ran into the same thing when googling my microdose lupron protocol. I don't have a poor reserve, and I'm not over 40, but apparently that protocol is sort of geared for those that are. So who knows? But I am glad the doc is pulling out the big guns, and I agree with you that whatever you need to do, you should try it.

Anonymous said...

You probably already know this (and I am reading backwards so you may have mentioned it already) but several women that I know swear by royal jelly and bee pollen for improving egg quality and quantity. http://natural-fertility-info.com/increase-egg-health